Been tagged by the Marauder to tell you random things about me in lists of seven.
Seven things I plan to do
Plans. I have pagefulls of them – vague, hopeful things. However, short term intentions also are being.
1. Tidy up, tidy up, tidy up.
2. Reclaim life – Get ALL deadlines out of the way, find a nice patch of sunlight, curl up and read.
3. Follow hair and skin care regimen and avert hag-likeness.
4. Get few decent posts up here. Sometime soon.
5. Get printer/scanner all-in-one thingy, absence of which has paralysed life for months.
6. Check out Bose showroom and be forever spoilt for lesser things.
7. Read all books that have been on shelf for months, even if have to make silly lists and determinedly go through, mood and inclination be damned.
Seven things I can't do
1. Have nice clothes tailored for me. Tailors totally intimidate me – honest, I can’t think of a single thing to say to them. So with the mother threatening to abandon me on grounds that I am now grown enough to organise my own clothes, I’m left with readymades.
Now, I’m short ok? Well, I like petite better, but in all fairness people just shy of 5 ft are short – plain truth. Nothing off the rack will fit without that dreaded thing – alterations. And I need a new wardrobe, like yesterday :-(.
What else can’t I do? Imagine admitting these things in public. I’ll do one of those MBA tricks where all negatives are pluses: I can’t pass by a stray puppy without stopping to pat it, you know, it’s such a weakness, I just can’t help it!
2. Seriously, I can’t draw. I admire illustrators and artists tremendously and there is a touch of wistful longing there. However I have made valiant attempts to learn pencil shading with Vikas’ Learn Pencil Shading: Landscapes and Objects – II. When I acquire scanner I shall put up my work for all to admire. I say it myself, it’s just copycat work, but they’re not too bad.
Talking of artwork, here is a blog I like.
3. Cannot get a grip on Messrs HTML, CSS and associates. Gah!
4. Cannot figure out golf. This, in spite of Wodehouse and the Oldest Member.
5. Cannot appreciate rock music. Brain wired that way, too late.
6. Cannot read Dickens and friends any more. Wrong century. Have become impatient reader.
7. Cannot sing as well as I’d like to. Wish I’d been trained.
Seven things I say quite often
2. Ayyo…yo. (Note: not 'aiyyaiyo'. Very versatile, typically Kannadiga phrase. Apparently I say it all the time to express quite a range of feelings -- shock, horror, mirth, amusement, disdain, contempt and so on.)
3. Bashkul! No!… Apdi pannakudaadu… that’s a no-no.
4. You have a piece that needs editing? … You want it when?!… That doesn’t give me much time… Oh, I see… How big is the document? … Well, ok, send it to me.
(Get off phone, bang head against wall. Why can I not say NO?)
5. I use ‘lovely’ quite a bit. Like Shakti Kapoor: ‘Lovely, no?’
That’s all – Shweta says I don’t talk enough to have seven things under this head.
Must I tag someone?
The Hussains, I think. Nishat and Sabiha.