Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Hasti apni habaab ki si hai

I'm running into the Sufis everywhere these days - every which way I turn.
Shweta brought home this recording of live performances at Jahaan-e-Khusrau, 2002. Abida Parveen singing (for a full elaborate hour) Hazrat Shah Niyaz's Man na manam na man manam -- I am not, yet, I am. Oh why do I not live in Delhi!

A few months ago, I read a book called Refugees from Paradise by Anuradha Majumdar. Lots of mysticism and she writes about the Bauls - wandering minstrels in Bengal and thereabouts who sound like they have much in common with the sufiana sarmasts. Loved that book too.

And this morning, I found this in the ghazal book Radha Aunty gave me:
Khud fana hoke zaat mein milna
Ye tamasha habaab mein dekha

Give me a sign, God.

No comments: