Thursday, November 09, 2006

Don that

At long last, Don.
Didn't dislike it, but could see why they dissed it - bores you in the middle and, but for a moment here and there, lacks charm. Since the original isn't razor sharp in my memory this was almost like a fresh movie. Loved SRK, thought Priyanka Chopra quite alright (she irritated me in Kkrishh) but I tired of Boman Irani, Om Puri and Arjun Rampal.

One reason I particularly looked forward to Don was Rajiv Surti. This man was one of the choreographers in Star One's Nach Baliye competition last season and he was head and shoulders above anyone else there. Farhan Akhtar, if you remember, was one of the judges, and Surti had had his couple Rajeshwari and Varun Badola do an extremely intelligent version of Khaike paan banaras waala.

Akhtar was pretty impressed with Surti and had him do one song in Don (not Khaike, which was choreographed by Surti's mentor, Ganesh Hegde). I didn't know which one Surti was given to tackle but as it happened, it didn't matter: no number stood out.
Loved the Main hoon Don sequence though. Sexy, stylish and velvet. Long live the King.

Correction: A commenter tells me it wasn't Hegde who put Khaike paan banaraswaala together, but Saroj Khan. Thanks.

3 comments:

The Marauder's Map said...

I was actually yawning a couple of times, the pace was so slow. Wasn't this supposed to be a whacky thriller? It left me quite cold, frankly.

Anonymous said...

rajiv did morya re and aaj ki raat...and it was saroj khan who choreographed khaike, and not ganesh hegde..you can recheck this with google..

Sheetal said...

Anon: is that so? Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm disappointed then with Saroj Khan. Wasn't this song what brought her to a career in Bollywood?